CAT Reservation Criteria 2019: CAT or Common Admission Test is conducted by one of the IIMs on a rotational basis. Admission to the IIM(s) is done based on scores secured in the management exam. Each Indian Institute of Management has a reservation policy for:
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Other Backward Classes (OBC)
- People with Disability (PWD)
The policy is based on the norms specified by the Government of India. The option to fill your category comes at the time of CAT Registration. Candidates must upload caste certificate along with the form to claim reservation. This year, IIM Kozhikode has scheduled CAT 2019 for November 24 in computer-based mode. The last date to apply online was September 26; the admit card will be issued to all the registered candidates from October 24.
Also Read Scholarship through CAT 2019
CAT 2019 Category-wise Seat Reservation
Candidates belonging to reserved categories and planning to appear in CAT this year should know the reservation policies of IIMs for a clear understanding. The different number of seats are reserved for each category as per the rules of Government of India. IIMs follow the below CAT Reservation Criteria for their post-graduate management courses:
|Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes||27%|
|Person with Disability (PWD)||3%|
|Total reserved seats||52.5%|
Also Check CAT Cutoff 2019
CAT Reservation Policy 2019- Important Points
There are no changes in the reservation policies until the Central Government suggests any. It is essential to enter your category very consciously for CAT 2019 since no change will be entertained at a later stage. Given below are some key points to know for candidates claiming reservation through CAT.
- As per the provision, 3% seats in CAT are reserved for physically disabled candidates, and as per the regulation there are three categories of disability:
- Low vision blindness
- Hearing impairment
- Locomotor disability or Cerebral Palsy
It is mandatory for the applicants to submit their caste certificate to avail reservation during the registration process. The original documents shall be submitted at the time of admission to avoid the situation of disqualification.
- As per the norms of the central government, candidates who belong to Non-Creamy Layer are the ones who belong to OBC category and are extremely poor and less educated. According to the definition of non-creamy layer
- The annual income of the candidate should be more than 6 lacs
- Group A/B employee of the central government
- The concept of the Non-Creamy layer was introduced to distinguish between an economically weaker and financially stronger section of the OBC society. There are 27% seats reserved in CAT 2019 for the candidates who belong to non-creamy layer in OBC.
Also Read CAT Preparation Tips
Mandatory Certificates and Forms
Candidates shall register online for CAT 2019 and fill up all the valid details along with the documents. Those who want to apply under the reserved category shall submit the necessary reservation documents in the format prescribed by the central government. Steps required to fill up the form are mentioned below.
- Visit the website of CAT
- Download the reservation form from the website
- Fill in all the details correctly
- Get it attested by any gazetted officer
- Attach all the mandatory documents
- Submit the form on or before the stipulated date
Necessary Reservation Details
Candidates shall read all the instructions carefully before filling up CAT Application Form. Those who want to avail reservation facility shall confirm their eligibility and then fill the application form. A separate caste certificate shall be filled by the candidates who belong to SC/ST/ PWD/ OBC category. The mandatory details to be filled in the certificate are
- Name of the applicant
- City/Village/ Town
- District/ Division
- State/ Union Territory
- Caste/ Tribe
Apart from filling the details, it is equally important for the candidates to attach their caste certificate to prove their eligibility. The competent authority should sign the certificates. Those candidates who belong to Physically Disabled category shall produce the disability certificate duly signed by the registered doctor. It is compulsory that the degree of disability should be mentioned on the disability certificate. Also, the certificate should have a small description of the disability.
Also Read CAT Eligibility Criteria 2019
CAT Reservation Policy FAQs
Ques. I have SC/ ST certificate in the format uploaded on CAT official portal, can I use the same or do I have to download certificate template from CAT website and fill it again?
Ans. If your certificate fulfills the following conditions, then the same can be uploaded:
- The competent authority should have issued the certificate.
- The name of the caste and caste number should appear in the certificate
- The Ministry’s resolution/order number should be available
- The certificate should be in Hindi or English only
Ques. Is there any validity for NC-OBC certificate?
Ans. The information related to this is available on the GOI website, i.e., ncbc.nic.in.
Ques. What all categories are available when applying online for CAT 2019?
Ans. Listed below are the names of categories:
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Non-Creamy Other Backward Class (NC-OBC)
Ques. Which documents should I submit if I belong to SC/ ST category?
Ans. Candidates belonging to SC/ ST category must have their caste/ tribe listed in the GOI schedule. One must submit their Caste Certificate in the Government approved format. The document must clearly state the following information:
- Name of your caste/tribe.
- Whether you belong to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe.
- District and the State or Union Territory of your ordinary residence
- The appropriate Government of India schedule under which your caste/tribe is approved, whether Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe.
- Signatures of required authorities.
Ques. Is there any defined eligibility for a scribe or reader in CAT 2019?
Ans. No, there is no eligibility criterion. On the day of the exam, the scribe must bring a valid ID proof and a passport size photograph, and sign a declaration about his/her educational qualifications at the CAT exam center.