CAT Results 2018: The Indian Institute of Management has declared the results of CAT 2018 on January 5, 2019. Visit the official portal i.e. iimcat.ac.in to check your result. IIM Calcutta has released the answer keys for CAT in the first week of December 2018
Direct Link to check CAT Result- Click Here
- Candidate’s response sheet released at CAT’s official portal. Check the same using your login credentials. Know more
- CAT 2018 was conducted on Nov. 25 in two sessions, to maintain equality in scores, read about CAT Score Calculation.
- With the declaration of results, the scorecards are also released on the website.
- Candidates can download CAT Scorecard using their User ID & Password.
- The scores are used not only for IIMs admissions but for other business schools across India.
- An SMS is also sent to all test-takers, informing them about their CAT Percentile.
Merely qualifying CAT does not guarantee admission to IIMs. The next stage is to appear for a group discussion and personal interview round. IIMs announces their admission criteria largely based on CAT score, writing ability, group discussion and personal interviews. Read on to know more about the results, CAT 2018 Scores vs Percentile, highest score etc.
CAT Result 2018 Dates
Here are all the key result dates to know:
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||November 25, 2018|
|Announcement of IIM CAT Result 2018||January 8, 2019|
|List of shortlisted candidates for WAT, GD and PI rounds||Last week of January 2019|
|Final Selection||April 2019|
Check all CAT Important Dates
CAT Results Schedule Trend
|Year||CAT Result Date||CAT Result Time||IIM declaring CAT Result|
|CAT 2018||January 7, 2019 (expected)||10 AM||Yet to decided|
|CAT 2017||January 8, 2018||9 AM||IIM Lucknow|
|CAT 2016||January 9, 2017||10 AM||IIM Bangalore|
|CAT 2015||January 8, 2016||1 PM||IIM Ahmedabad|
How to Check CAT 2018 Results?
The step-wise process to obtain CAT result is given below:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CAT Exam 2018
Step 2: Click on Download CAT Score Card.
Step 3: You will be redirected to the login page.
Step 4: Enter your User Id and Password.
Step 5: You will be redirected to your candidate’s account page.
Step 6: Click on Download Score card link and download it for future correspondence.
CAT Percentile Predictor 2018
- CAT Result will be declared in January and candidates can check their score on the official website.
- However, candidates can use the CAT Percentile Predictor on Educationkeeda.com to determine the ranks based on their respective percentiles.
- All the participating institutes release cut-offs for next rounds. They shortlist the candidates on the basis CAT percentile scores.
Details on CAT Score Card 2018
CAT 2018 scorecard is an important document which will be necessary during interview and admission process. Institutes other than IIMs which accept CAT score also require students to submit their official CAT Score Card during application and admission process.
Once you have CAT Scorecard in hand, make sure it has the following information:
These include Name, Gender, Date of Birth, as filled during CAT Registration.
Candidate’s Contact Details
This includes the candidate’s postal address and email id.
Category details include information if the candidate is from General, NC-OBC, or SC/ST category. The CAT Exam scorecard also shows a candidate’s PWD/DA status.
Test details like CAT 2018 Registration number/Login id, test date and slot.
Scaling of CAT scores is a process carried out to ensure fairness to all the candidates. CAT exam is conducted in two slots and the test paper is different for each shift so does the level of difficulty. There might be a case where question paper in one shift may be tough in comparison to the other shift. In such cases, the scores may vary. Thus in order to ensure fairness in comparing scores of candidates across different test sessions the scores of all appearing candidates are scaled.
Your CAT 2018 score card will contain section wise scaled score and overall scaled score.
A percentile score is the rank of a candidate relative to the rank of other candidates appearing in CAT 2018. For example, if in an exam where 100 candidates appeared and your rank is 25, then 75 people scored less than you. So your percentile score would be (75/100) X 100 = 75%ile
How is CAT Result Calculated?
- As per the exam pattern of CAT Exam, each question holds 3 marks.
- For marking a wrong answer, 1 mark is deducted as penalty.
- But no mark is deducted on marking the wrong option under non-MCQs section. Read About CAT Score Calculation
CAT 2018 Percentile
CAT Results is declared in the form of percentile score. The higher the percentile score, greater are the chances to get shortlisted for the admission procedure. These percentile scores are determined normalization of scores.
CAT Score Validity
The scores of CAT Results are valid for one year only. The score validity of CAT Result 2018 will be until December 31, 2018. The last date to download the scorecard, as well as all queries regarding CAT Result 2018 will be entertained until this date only.
CAT 2018 Score vs Percentile
CAT percentile vs score signifies percentile corresponding to the score. The table below shows CAT Percentile Vs CAT Score of the academic year 2016.
|CAT Percentile||CAT Score|
99.02 to 99.95
155.85 to 200.49
98.03 to 98.98
142.83 to 155.24
97.05 to 97.84
134.6 to 141.07
96.02 to 96.99
128.23 to 134.27
95.08 to 95.97
123.36 to 127.97
CAT Score Normalisation
“The Normalization process shall adjust for location and scale differences of score distributions across different forms. After normalization across different forms, the scores shall be further normalized across different sections.”
- CAT 2018 was conducted in two different shifts and each shift had a different set of question paper.
- The difficulty level for each question set varies. Hence, in order to ensure fairness and equity in the marking process, CAT Exam authorities follow a normalization process where marks of each candidate are scaled.
Example- To explain further, let’s suppose 1000 students appeared in both the shifts in two cities A and B. The question paper in the second shift was tougher on the second shift. Also, the students from City B are from Hindi medium background but the question paper was in English. Now, the average score of students in the first shift is 110 and an average score of students in second shift is 100. Also, an average score of students in city A is 120 and city B is 100.
Now, comparing the scores of all the students on the same parameter would not be fair. So the scores of the students in the second set and city would be multiplied by a number which is arrived at by careful consideration of multiple factors such as:
- Highest score
- Lowest score
- Top 10 percentile scores
- Lowest 10 percentile scores
- Other deviations (city, educational background etc.)
- When CAT result is prepared, every candidate’soriginal score undergoes the process of normalization.
- Though CAT authorities have not disclosed their method of normalization, the official brochure states that at first the process is adjusted for location and then scale the differences of score distribution across different forms.
- After this process, the scores obtained are again scaled for different sections. The score thus obtained is then converted to percentiles.
CAT 2018 Answer Key
- Ever since 2009, when for the first time CAT was conducted in the online mode, CAT authorities do not release any official answer key.
- As a part of a Non-Disclosure Agreement, no authority is allowed to release CAT answer key officially.
- According to the Non-Disclosure Agreement, any individual or authority releasing CAT 2018 Answer key, official or otherwise will have to bear legal consequences. So in case you encounter any website claiming to have official CAT answer key, you may report the same to the authorities.
- Adding to this, some top CAT Coaching Institutes do release CAT Answer Keys. Candidates may match their responses from the same.
CAT Response Sheet (Both Slots- Released)
- CAT 2018 Response sheet only contains the marked by a candidate in the exam
- CAT 2018 Response sheet doesn’t contain the correct answers to the questions
- CAT 2018 Answer Key is expected to be released by the next week
What After CAT Result 2018?
- After CAT Results is declared, all CAT Collegesbegin releasing their cutoff. Each CAT Participating Collegereleases its own cut off/ percentile.
- As many as 20 IIMs will accept the scores of CAT 2018 along with 100+ B-schools of India. The below table represents CAT Cutoff 2018 as well as the seats available in each institute:
|B-Schools||Cut off in Percentile||Available Seats|
|IFMR Chennai||80+ Percentile||240|
- Shortlisted candidates will participate in CAT Selection Procedure that will begin in January 2018.
- Candidates need to apply for B-schools but no need to apply for IIMs separately.
- The selection process usually consists of Group Discussion and Personal Interview rounds.
- Every IIM has their own selection criteria.
- They shortlist the candidates on the basis of their score in CAT Exam, academic and work experience and GD/PI Score.
Latest MBA Application Forms for B-Schools
Verification of Documents
For the purpose of inspecting eligibility of a candidate, documents are verified at the time of IIM selection process. The authorities there verify the eligibility criteria of the waitlist candidates on the following guidelines:
- Degree Certificates/Mark-sheets: Along with the original copies, the self-attested copies of the same will be reviewed at the time of reporting time for the interview. The percentage scored, marks obtained as per the required eligibility will also be checked.
- Caste and PwD Certificate: The second check is the verification of category certificates and PwD status check. A copy of a self-attested certificate is also required to submit for future correspondence.
- Passing Certificate of Final Year of Graduation/Qualifying Examination: Those candidates who appeared in CAT during final semester/year of their graduation, have to submit the proof of passing the graduation and submit a certificate issued by Principal/Registrar of the College/Institution latest by June 30, 2018. The certificate should state that the candidate has successfully completed the requirements of the course.
CAT Results Trends
Lakhs of CAT Exam aspirants try their luck each year. But only a handful manage to clear the exam. The below table gives you past year CAT Result Trends, so that you get a clearer picture for this year. Have a look:
Analysis of CAT Result (2016, 2017)
CAT 2017 observed a decrease in total applicants. However, the actual test takers were more in 2017. A comparative analysis of 2016 & 2017 is given below:
Total actual test takers
Analysis of CAT Result (2015, 2014)
|CAT Result Trends|
|Year||No. of candidates appeared||Scores obtained||Conversion into percentile|
|CAT 2014||167829||268.700 – 261.740||100|
|CAT 2015||179602||254.61 – 249.9||100|
|215.54 – 215.43||99.89|
CAT Exam Results: Important Points
- Only CAT test takers are issued the score card via online mode only.
- The Scaled Scores of Section-1 (Verbal Ability & reading Comprehension); Section-2 (Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning) and Section-3 (Quantitative Ability) are not additive. Overall Scaled Scores is based on the total raw scores earned by the candidate.
- Percentile refers to percentage of candidates who receive score less than or equal to the score obtained by the candidate.
- IIMs and Non-IIM member institutions independently decide how to use CAT 2018 scores on the basis of their own selection process.
- CAT scores are used only for selecting the candidates to their Post Graduate / Fellow Programme(s) in Management.
- All queries regarding post-CAT 2018 selection process must be directed to respective IIMs.
- CAT Centes will not answer post-CAT related queries.
CAT Results FAQs
Ques. I do not have any work experience. Will it affect my performance in CAT?
Ans. This will not affect your performance in CAT Exam. However, your final selection may get affected. Although significant weightage is not given to the work experience, still if there are students with work experience, they may have an edge.
Ques. I have done B.Tech Biotech and I am an IIM aspirant. Will my previous degree affect my selection in IIM on the basis of CAT result?
Ans. No, your previous education will not affect your performance in CAT results.
Ques. While filling options in CAT application form, I accidentally selected IIM PGP programme. Can I get any other program in IIM after the result is out?
Ans. You will be evaluated on the basis of your choices filled. The chances of getting a program other than choices filled by you are rare. Once the counselling process of IIM is over, the next round will be done homogenously from the top rankings, where again the preference is given to the choices submitted by the candidates initially.
Ques. If I score more than 85 % in Common Aptitude Test and I get selected in all the GD, PI, WAT, then am I eligible for the admission in IIM without any work ex?
Ans. Yes, you are but for IIMs. Generally, the trends are more than 95 percent. Also, it’s the percentile score that matters and the percentage come second on the list.
Ques. I appeared for CAT 2016 and CAT 2018. Can I apply to colleges with the higher of two scores or not?
Ans. No, the CAT score is valid for only 1 year. So CAT score for the year 2018 is valid for the present academic year only.
Ques. My last name is different in class 10 and class 12 certificate. Will this affect my CAT result?
Ans. No, this will not affect your CAT results but this can affect your admission process at any institute. Better create an affidavit supporting the change of the last name.
Ques. If my CAT score is between 123 and 128, what method can I use for calculation of CAT percentile score?
Ans. Your CAT percentile will be used for seat allotment, so your percentile can come between 95.08 to 95.97. The same can be calculated with the help of CAT percentile predictor tool
Ques. I am from OBC category, Punjab stat. Can I get admission in LIBA Chennai on 68 percentile?
Ans. This will depend on the cut off declared for the categories. However, to get admission in LIBA Chennai, the minimum percentile required is 80.
Ques. If I appeared for an improvement exam in CBSE in class 10, will my CAT result be affected by it or not?
Ans. Your improvement exam score will not affect your performance in CAT exam. But this may affect your admission process.
Ques. I have written CAT 2018 exam. My final semester result has released now and it shows that I have backlogs. So is my CAT score valid or not?
Ans. The score will be valid, but you cannot get admission in any B.School with backlogs in the final semester.
Ques. If I score a good percentile in CAT, but I have a backlog of my graduation degree, can I get admission in IIM?
Ans. No, you can get admission only if you do not have any backlogs.
Ques. What is the minimum score needed for admission into the IIT and IIM MBA program?
Ans. A minimum of 95 percentile is required for admission into any of the IIT and IIM program.
Ques. If I do not clear the minimum CAT Cutoff, will I still be eligible for admission?
Ans. You need to clear the minimum cut off for the admission process. If you fail on this step, you cannot get admission in any of the IIMs. Maybe in some private college, depending upon their admission rules.
Ques. I wrote the CAT 2018 exam is shift II. So will get the result on the same day as that of shift I?
Ans. Yes, the result will be declared for all the CAT aspirants on the same day irrespective of the shift you wrote the exam in.
Ques. I am from Chennai. Can I get admission in FMS Delhi on the basis of CAT score? Is there any state quota?
Ans. No, there is no state quota in the admission process of FMS Delhi. All the students will have to get the minimum percentile of 98 percent in CAT exam, to get admission in FMS, once the result is declared the admission will be done on the basis of the performance in GD and PI along with the CAT score.
Ques. I am from Haryan. Will I get some state reservation in MDI, Gurgaon on the basis of CAT score?
Ans. No, there is no state reservation in MDI Gurgaon or any other MBA institute.
Ques. My password is not working on the CAT website, what to do?
Ans. If the password is not working on the CAT website, then you can reset the password by clicking on the “forgot password” link.
Ques. What is the validity period for my CAT 2018 score?
Ans. CAT score will remain valid only until December 31, 2018, and not after that.
Ques. Will my scaled score be displayed on my CAT score card?
Ans. Yes, your scaled score will be displayed on the CAT score card.
Ques. Is there a process of a centralizedcounselling on the basis of CAT score?
Ans. There is centralized counselling only for the IIM’s. For rest of the institutes, a separate counselling is conducted by each of the participating institutes.
Ques. If I have part-time work experience in a managerial position, will that be considered at the time of selection process?
Ans. No, only full-time work experience is considered by the management institutes.
Ques. Will I get an SMS stating that the CAT result is announced on the day of result declaration?
Ans. Yes, there is a provision of SMS and email circulation process.
Ques. What is the weightage of work experience in my selection process?
Ans. The weigtage to the various parameters are as follows:
Aggregate CAT Score
SSC (12th score)
Diversity factor : Gender
Diversity factor : academic discipline
Ques. I want to get my CAT score rechecked, whom to contact?
Ans. There is no provision of recheck of the CAT score, the score once announced will not be changed under any circumstances.
Ques. My photograph is blurred on my CAT scorecard, what to do?
Ans. You may send the present CAT scorecard to the authorities on their email id listed and they would issue a new score card. The contact details are 1800-2663-549/ email@example.com.
Ques. What is the reservation I will get in IIM as an OBC candidate?
Ans. The reservation is as per the following scheme in the IIM’s:
|Category details||Percentage reservation|
Ques. If I have justify a section un-attempted in CAT 2018 exam, will I still a percentile?
Ans. You will get a percentile but your score will be invalid as you have justify the section unattempted